Descriptive essay topics
A descriptive essay is an essay which uses the power of literature to explain a situation or describe a scene. When it comes to writing a descriptive essay, there is freedom to write about almost anything, as technically no matter what you write about, you will always be using description. Having said this, you should look for interesting and exiting topics to describe, as this makes writing more enjoyable.
To get good marks for a descriptive essay, you need to use literary devices and techniques to add emphasis and impact to what you are saying. The most important thing however, is to be accurate and detailed with your descriptions, never forgetting to describe what the examiner would think is most important in terms of the topic you are trying to describe. Be diverse when describing your surroundings, and try to always include the senses of sight, hearing, touch and smell.
Here are some descriptive essay topics which you can use to write an essay on, or to get the imagination flowing to come up with your own descriptive essay topics:
- Describe an imaginary battlefield.
- Describe yourself in a prisoner of war camp.
- Give an account of a normal day in your life.
- Describe one of the most important things in your life.
- Talk about your favorite movie star.
- Describe your favorite film.
- Describe the most recent movie you have seen.
- Describe how it would be to live underwater.
- Describe the effects of drinking alcohol.
- Imagine you are walking through the jungle. Describe what you see.
- Describe your perfect day.
- Describe the sensations an astronaut feels as he goes from the Earth to space.
- Describe a bustling market street in Hong Kong.
- Describe a city skyline viewed from a skyscraper.
- Describe a historical battle.
- Make up your own scene and fill it with random objects. Describe the scene and the objects.
- Describe what you see as you walk through a mansion.
- You are walking through a rural village. Describe what you can see and hear.
- Give a description of a typical school day.
- Describe what would happen if you travelled backwards in time.
- You leave Earth for 1,000 years. Describe what it could be like when you get back.
- Describe the effects of heroin addiction.
- Describe an erupting volcano.
- You are in school when a large earthquake hits. Describe what happens.
- Describe yourself in the role of president.
- Describe what features you can see as you walk by the Grand Canyon.
- Describe what qualities make up a good person.
- Describe the 10 commandments.
- Describe the differences between a viola and a cello.
- Describe an airplane journey.
- Give a detailed description of an engine.
- Describe the impacts of racism and prejudice.
- Describe a drive from the East coast to the West coast of the US.
- Describe the Hindu festival Diwali.